Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Steinbach Street Fair and the girly dragon

I drove down to Steinbach, Manitoba to take part in their Summerfest. I have a friend in Steinbach who told me about the event, and who also booked a booth to sell her stuff (fantastic little dresses for girls made out of wonderful fabrics decorated with cute appliques and buttons)! We made sure we were together at the streetfair so we could visit as well :) The first day it rained, and we toughed it out for a couple hours, but my paintings were getting wet, so we packed it up and headed into Winnipeg to shop the "Urban Barn". We couldn't've asked for better weather the second day!

Anyways, i had a really nice time there. Sold a painting, sold a few prints and postcards, and also received a commission! Here is the drawing i received from Cezanne, the mom:


The original was actually coloured in orange, but i cant find that image right at the moment, so here is the black and white version i worked up (easier to use in my projector this way). I have never worked with the colour orange and i have to admit it's because of all the colours, orange is my least favourite! but i am always up to a challenge. Cezanne was actually open to me not using orange at all to keep it in a 'girls' colour theme for her daughters room. But i had seen orange done really nicely with pinks and purples somewhere, so i assured her it would look fantastic and girly :) She never doubted my decisions and was just excited to see what i would do! I love a customer like that!

And, the finished product:



I even used orange-with a dash of pink-sparkle dust on the dragons body! I was really happy with the result, and i know Cezanne and her daughter were as well!

I was so happy to have Cezanne send me a picture of the painting up in her daughters room.



And i quote "I just wanted to thank you for the beautiful art piece you made for us! As you can see my daughter was thrilled!"

:)

1 comment:

  1. That is SO awesome, Ellie! And this is why you do what you do - it's great!

    ReplyDelete